What is it that you do every single day without even thinking? Hmmmm, many of you will think of several things. Well let me put it another way. What ESSENTIAL thing do you do every single day? the answer is: We breathe. Yes we Breathe and yet most of us do not use our breath in a way that will help us. We breathe every second of the day yet many of us breathe far too shallowly. We hardly ever use the huge capacity of our lungs. Shallow breathing, that is, breathing into the top of your chest only, means your brain becomes starved of oxygen. This results, in an increase in your pain levels. Additional problems can be feeling tense and maybe increased risk of headache or other symptoms.
When you practice deeper breathing you will gain numerous positive effects.
- It helps your muscles relax.
- All the cells of your body will be fed with oxygen and regenerated .
- It increases and encourages the production of endorphins – your body’s own feel good hormones.
- Deep breathing has a calming effect on your mind.
- Most important of all – it’s the key to relieving your pain.
- To get the benefit from your breath, take Breath Breaks, throughout the day. It takes only a few minutes and is especially beneficial if you’re sitting at a computer or screen for any length of time.
- It’s important not to force your breath, simply take gentle, normal breaths that go deep into your abdomen.
- A helpful addition is to say to yourself, as you breathe out: “Relax…” or “Calm”
- Really allow yourself to feel your body relaxing and letting go of any stress, any tension and any pain sensations. At our Pain Management groups you will be shown how to use your breath as a means of relieving your pain, how to take your attention to the place of discomfort and to very gently breathe out through that place. Use your breath it is always there to help you.!